Leadership Coach, Consultant, Catalyst
Charles is an internationally experienced management coach and consultant on leadership and organizational effectiveness. He helps individuals, teams, and organizations reach and exceed their goals, having trained and coached thousands of managers and executives across North America and internationally.
He is noted for his ability to bring leadership principles to life through stories and real-life examples.
Some of the highlights of his career:
- He has conducted leadership and teambuilding workshops and coached management at Fortune 500 companies including Sun Microsystems, US West, TCI, Sprint, 3M, State Farm Insurance, Coors Brewing Co., and Microsoft.
- In close collaboration with the client, he designed and conducted a multi-session program for the top 100 managers at MWH Global, a large international engineering consulting firm. As part of this program, he was invited to conduct a five-day leadership intensive in Singapore. The program was attended by business unit managers from New Zealand, Australia, Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Beijing.
- For five years, Charles was one of two Master Facilitators conducting the University of Denver's Daniels College of Business, flagship, four-month-long "Emerging Leaders Program" attended by promising executives from Fortune 500 companies. This program was recognized by the International Society of Performance Improvement as the Top Award Winner.
- He designed and led a custom leadership program for 35 Global Account Managers at Sun Microsystems. This program was very successful and received high praise for content value and effectiveness.
- He has also designed and conducted leadership and strategic planning workshops for scientific and technical organizations connected with the Department of Defense and the Department of Energy such as Sandia National Laboratories, Pacific Northwest National Laboratories, Oakridge National Laboratory, National Renewable Energy Laboratories, as well as for several engineering consulting firms including Bechtel, and for oil industry executives at INTEVEP in Caracas, Venezuela.
- He has coached over 120 town, city, and county government officials including senior management with the North Carolina Department of Revenue. These have come as part of his relationship with the University of North Carolina - School of Government.
- He co-led a strategic planning retreat for Denver's Mayor Wellington Webb and his Cabinet. He also conducted programs for the Mayor's Office of Economic Development and International Trade and Parks and Recreation.
- Conducted a series of quarterly leadership development workshops for a part of the State of Washington educational system over a three-year period and also designed and led an educators' retreat for 80 school administrators and principals.
- Charles was affiliated with the Battelle Institute conducting management development programs nationally and internationally.
- Was a key member of a team that designed and facilitated a five-day leadership program for 450 managers from first-line supervisors to the CEO over a two-year period for United Telephone of Ohio - a division of Sprint.
- He is a Certified Master of "The Leadership Challenge" program and the "LPI - Leadership Practices Inventory". He is also certified in the use of "EQi and EQ 360" emotional intelligence instruments.
Charles uses his wide range of business and life experience in his training and consulting work. He is noted for his ability to take abstract concepts of leadership, team-building, and organizational development and make them real and practical. He brings a strong background as a hands-on executive to his leadership and organizational work.
Charles adds the following to his experience:
- Has served as Director, Advisory Board Member, or Operating Executive of several corporations.
- Founder/Owner of five small businesses
- Director of Marketing for Vail (the Colorado ski resort)
- Professional photographer with work published in nine countries. www.stjohnart.com
- Climbed 19,300 ft. Mt. Kilimanjaro and trekked in a remote area of the Maasai lands of Tanzania.
- Member of the Bio-Bio River, Chile, Whitewater Exploratory Expedition.
- Skied the Tasman Glacier in New Zealand
- Former Chairman of the Board - Think Like A Genius Foundation