Go Climb a Tree
Time to Read: 1.5 mins...
Let’s say your team’s task is to cut a path through dense forest. Your job, as their leader, is to make sure 5 things happen:
- Support: make sure they have enough water, food, sharp saws, protective gear, etc. to accomplish the task.
- Training: individually, do they have sufficient skill to do their part and carry their load?
- Teamwork: collectively, do they work together well and support each other?
- Encouragement: cutting through dense undergrowth is hard, demanding work – do you recognize them individually and collectively for their sweat and accomplishments? Do they acknowledge each other?
- Get a Fresh Perspective: this may be the most important thing you can do. From time to time, get out of the weeds and climb a tree. Take a look at the big picture and do 4 things…
- Look at your team right now in whatever project you are working on. Of the 5 things above, what do they need most? Resources, training, teambuilding, encouragement, understanding the big picture – something else?
- Also look at each team member individually and see what they need most. May not be the same as what the team as a whole needs.
- And lastly, how might all this apply to your family?
P.S. Tell me what you think – add your comments below.